Higher Education

Help for Higher Education Students

About to apply for University?


For help with your application go to www.ucas.com . On the Home page there is a menu on the left hand side which offers these titles:

  • Course Search
  • Apply
  • Track Progress
  • Where to study

If you choose any of the first three titles, it takes you to a page where there is a video all about the topic and filling in the forms. The explanation is made in a good clear voice, but you can choose to have subtitles if you prefer.

Good luck with your application and we hope you get a place on the course you want!

University Support

All universities will have a specialist team of support staff  (e.g. Southampton University – Enabling Services).

It is advised that you contact your university and register with their specialist team as soon as you have your offer.

DSA (Disabled Students Allowance)

Disabled Students Allowance (DSA). Students, who are UK residents, and have evidence of a disability should apply for the DSA. This is a non-means tested support structure, from Student Finance England or the NHS,  to allow you to complete your degree, by providing appropriate support for any difficulties you may have.

To apply go to: www.direct.gov.uk/studentfinance

The DSA can provide a once only equipment system, such as a laptop, software training and support.

Useful websites and publications.

A factsheet for the Disabled Students Allowance (DSAs) in Higher Education gives details of the allowances  https://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/media/1198/sfe_dsa_fs_1718_d.pdf

Skill. The National Bureau for Students with Disabilities – Skill is a national charity promoting opportunities for young people and adults with any kind of impairment in post-16 education, training and employment. Free Helpline Tel: 0800 328 5050. www.skill.org.uk


Updated 22/5/2017